Have you heard about the açaí bowl craze? The idea is that açaí berries have lots of antioxidants and other good stuff in them, making açaí bowls a “good for you” option. This is, of course, as questionable as any other health food claim. What we know for certain is that when frozen açaí berries are blended with almond milk and then topped with fruit and granola the result is 110% delicious. If anything about this delicious concept piques your interest, you can give it a taste at any of these five spots around SF
1. Blue Hawaii Açaí Cafe: Blue Hawaii is great for classic açaí bowls (and also poke bowls!). Located in the Embarcadero Center, Blue Hawaii is open for breakfast and lunch during the workweek. The fruit is always fresh, and there is outdoor seating in the roof garden upstairs.
2. Basik Cafe: Are you wearing work out clothes but there is a 50-50 chance you are not going to be working out today? Then join the 20-something masses at Basik, where Russian Hill meets Nob Hill. They do something fantastic with peanut butter and cashew milk. Be prepared to wait in line if you come on the weekend.
3. Nourish Cafe: If you find yourself being drawn to the Inner Richmond, it’s probably Nourish Cafe calling your name. Specializing in a radical green açaí bowl (there is spinach involved) Nourish serves up delicious açaí options (and is also incredibly instagrammable). Walk your açaí over to Mountain Lake Park for some fresh air.
4. Bebebar: Run by a Mother-Daughter team hailing from San Francisco by way of Brazil, Bebebar serves up authentic Brazilian style açaí bowls (and they are HUGE!). Conveniently located a few steps from Dolores Park- Bebebar is a great place to pick up an açaí bowl any time of the week.
5. Bowl’d Acai: Are you an inspired food-truck hunter? If so, Bowl’d Acai (they don’t use any crazy letters) is the açaí option for you. They also win for most absurd bowl names, including “original gangster,” “green goliath,” and “these nuts.”
Want to enjoy an açaí bowl without breaking the bank? Make an easy DIY version by buying Sambazon frozen açaí packs and blending up you own bowl of heaven at home.
About the Author // Eliza Dropkin is the newest member of Vantigo. She enjoys live music, good food, and cruising around town in Jerry (the other newest member of Vantigo).